Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Hospital - 2nd day, "the cart"

I started my shift at the welcome desk at 8am, with Morgan, then at 9am Pete came and stayed there with us. Morgan went out in the golf cart and I stayed with Pete. Later, Pete and I went to do the complimentary snacks cart. We went to the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th floor, to the patients' rooms, to offer a complimentary snack and drinks, and to the patients' family members. We went to the nurses' station at each wing on each floor to ask for the dietary restrictions print out, so we could offer the snacks and drinks according to the patient's diet. I learned about that. In One of the rooms was a man that clearly was in pain pills....upset because we ran out of ginger ale. In another room, after we knocked and walked in and introduce ourselves, the elderly lady yelled: "what do you want now?".... We guessed she thought we were a nurse....again. I then explained again that we were there just to offer her free cookies and a drink...she then said "OK" and smiled. In another room, we offered the snacks to a new father, to where the mom was in the bathroom. I asked "boy or girl?", and he replied "boy!", and after a few seconds.... "wait, no, GIRL!"
There were a lot of grateful patients and family members for that small snack and drink. I had fun. It took us almost 2 hours. Then we went back to the welcome desk.
When my shift was done, I went to grab my free lunch, and a dessert. While waiting for my lunch, I met and talked to a respiratory care doctor, and about what she does and why I am volunteering. She thought I was smart for volunteering and being there to find out what I would like to study.
So, fun day!

No comments:

Post a Comment