Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Hospital - 1st day

First day. I was assigned to the welcome desk. I used my badges for the first time to go through 3 doors, to get to the room where I needed to sign in. Then I went to the welcome desk and met Pete. We worked together today. But wait, on the first few minutes of my first day, we had an incident.... Morgan, another volunteer, wanted to show Pete and I, where the census of people that would like to be visited by a minister is located every morning. I asked if I should stay at the desk, but Morgan said I should come. It took us a minute to do that and when we came around the corner, there was an upset lady, yelling at us, why there was no one at the desk, and that a visitor, a child, fell on the stairs, and we needed to call the E.D., emergency department, and have someone come look at him. I stood there....and said "this is my first day!" then we proceeded to call the E.D. And security went there and everything was taken care of.
About an hour later, the lady, the one that yelled at us, came and apologized to me and said "You know I was not upset at you right? It was with the other two because they should know better." I accepted the apology.
Anyway, I learned how to welcome the visitors, new patients, delivery guys, people wanting to take tours, give out job applications, the process for when people request medical records, how NOT TO EVER LEAVE the welcome desk, and to be on Trudy's good side!!
On another note, Pete is funny. I also get a free lunch on the days I volunteer. I had fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment